In a dynamic, fast-paced information and communication technology (ICT) market, standard insurance policies just aren't enough. Working directly with UK insurers, our specialists can arrange the right cover to protect your technology firm from key risks.

Background Motif Tricolour
Technology 1

Specialist guidance

We have been providing insurance solutions to the UK's technology sector for many years. We can help you keep on top of the risks you face and ensure you're properly protected, allowing you to focus on growing your business.

As your business expands and cloud-based technologies develop apace, your insurance requirements will change. A regular review of your insurance is, therefore, vital to avoid unwittingly exposing your firm to export risks and legislative changes in foreign jurisdictions. 

Tailored technology cover

Bullet With Bkg

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Bullet With Bkg

Employers' and Public Liability Insurance, including products

Bullet With Bkg

Cyber-Liability and Crime

Bullet With Bkg

Breach of Contract

Bullet With Bkg

Transmission of malicious software

Bullet With Bkg

Infringement of somebody else’s intellectual property

Bullet With Bkg

Loss or damage to your office contents, computers and portables, such as laptops

Bullet With Bkg

Business Interruption Insurance following damage at your office or other locations upon which you depend

Techinsure 2


Specialist insurance for technology businesses

Techinsure is an insurance product for the technology industry that was devised to help businesses understand and manage the risks that they face. We offer bespoke solutions to accommodate the unique risks that your business may face in collaboration with industry specific partners and insurers. We source suitable solutions to meet your needs and mitigate your costs in the event of a loss.

Let's put you in touch with a specialist

Make a call or fill in the form

Want to speak to someone?

Call this number

clear group
Thank you for getting in touch. Your enquiry has been successfully submitted. Our team will be in touch shortly to assist you with your insurance needs.
Thank you for trying to get in touch. There was an issue with your submission. Please double-check your information and ensure all required fields are completed. If the problem persists, please contact our main number 020 7280 3450 for assistance.

Why Clear?

Industry-recognised for being people-first, our team of specialists supports start-ups, SMEs, corporates, multinationals and individuals.

Trade specialists

Trade specialists

We offer broad and bespoke sector specialist insurance solutions for peace of mind.

Chartered status

Chartered status

In recognition of our commitment to maintaining the highest standards of knowledge, ethical practice and guidance.

Exceptional service

Exceptional service

We're dedicated to providing exceptional customer service to respond proactively to the needs of our clients.

Frequently asked questions

What sort of businesses are policies for the ITC sector suitable for?

The list of organisations that come under this banner is constantly changing with the technology itself but here are some of the main businesses:

  • IT consultancy & training
  • Internet service providers
  • Software and App developers/publishers
  • Software testing services
  • Telecommunications
  • Value-added resellers
  • Data centres
  • Social media or SEO services

Essentially, if you consider your business within the technology sector, you should make use of the specialist policies available.

Why do I need Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Without it, you could be liable for thousands of pounds' worth of legal fees and compensation to your client if you are found to have been negligent in your services to them.

No matter how experienced you and your staff may be, it’s always possible to make a mistake or for a client to think that you have. But it’s not just about bad advice. A Professional Indemnity (PI) policy covers you against many situations, such as:

  • Professional negligence
  • Loss of documents or data
  • Unintentional breach of copyright, intellectual property or confidentiality
  • Defamation and libel
  • Loss of goods or money for which you are responsible.

Do I also need Cyber cover?

Impending legislation changes are likely to heighten the exposures to those holding and managing personal and sensitive data. Whilst professional indemnity will pick up claims in many areas an additional Cyber policy can dovetail with PI cover to pick up the additional exposures. These primarily surround your own costs and notification expenses involved in a data breach/loss.

How can I choose the right level of cover?

There is no right solution – some argue that you should 'buy what you can afford'. In other cases, your customer will specify a minimum level of cover. In any event, you should assess the greatest loss that might result from a mistake on any particular project/contract. Ultimately, no one will take on your responsibility to ensure you have enough cover but you should carefully review this area with your broker.

My policy is on a 'claims made' basis. What does that mean?

Professional Indemnity is underwritten on what is known as a ‘claims made basis’. This means that the policy will only provide cover for incidents that are discovered and notified to the insurers during the period of insurance. Your policy will provide cover for advice given in previous years, often limited to a given date. It is important to note that if you want to continue with the protection PI cover provides, you need to keep renewing cover or buy 'Run Off' cover.

Can I insure against one of my contracts going wrong?

There is no single answer to this, but it’s wise to talk to your adviser and discuss any contractual liabilities you may face. Beware signing standard contracts without checking whether they increase your insurance exposure. For example, many US contracts will include a 'hold harmless' clause, which would prevent you or your insurers from recovering against a negligent party.

Often, the best form of protection is not insurance, but making sure you have strong terms of business that limit your possible exposure. Where you do make a mistake which affects a client, the best policies will intervene quickly to minimise the loss and help you retain the client.

Why do I need international cover if I'm based in the UK?

The rapid growth of the internet means that geography is much less important these days. Often data will be stored outside the UK, and your customers may themselves be abroad.

If they decide to sue you, they may well do so in their own country making use of local laws. It’s not necessarily obvious that you are trading abroad. For example:

  • The provider of a UK online news service had US subscribers, who claimed the site infringed local trademarks
  • An online TV service was the subject of an injunction in India in relation to content
  • An online auction site fell foul of French law when featuring some military memorabilia
  • The operator of a website for an Austrian nightclub was sued when a customer was injured at the club.

As a general rule, if your customer may be abroad make sure you have 'worldwide jurisdiction' under your policies.

The bigger picture

Stay informed about insurance news and its impact on you and your business

Let's put you in touch with a specialist

clear group clear group